Promotion in Residence
Want to get your message out to students in residence? Find out how—and what rules apply.
First things first
Posters are printed on the 15th and last calendar day of each month. When your submission has been received and if it is approved, it will be printed for distribution on the next printing date.
While information about opportunities at Queen’s (clubs, events, talks, sports, etc.) can be useful to residents, we also recognize our residents’ right to privacy and a clutter-free living environment. All posters must be approved by Residence Life and Services. With that in mind, make sure you familiarize yourself with the poster policy below.
Poster Submission Guidelines
As stated in the Residence Life department’s philosophy and goals, Queen’s Residence Life department holds a responsibility of the safety and security of everyone located within its residence communities. To ensure this responsibility is being upheld the following guidelines must be followed by groups wishing to advertise within the residence community:
- All materials must be free of violent, obscene, pornographic, vulgar, sexist, racist, homophobic, heterosexist or otherwise inappropriate content.
- All materials must be free of content that promotes a culture of drinking or drug use. This includes, but is not limited to; the use of 19+ events, alcohol use, drug use, bars or clubs for advertising purposes.
- Posters advertising commercial, for-profit events or organizations not affiliated with Queen’s University, the Alma Mater Society of Queens University, or the Society of Graduate and Professional Students, and subsidiary entities are strictly prohibited.
- All materials must be printed on recyclable paper.
- Posters submitted by any organization for any given event cannot exceed 11 inches by 17 inches (28cm x 43cm) in size.
- All materials must be placed on appropriate bulletin boards where available. No material shall be placed on boards designated for special use. Posting on any residence walls is forbidden
- In accordance with fire regulations, no material may be placed on any doors, including residents’ doors, inside and outside elevators and on glass surfaces or doors (including mirrors). Additionally, posters may not be taped to the ground outside of residence. Moving, removing or posting over Queen’s University Residences or Res Soc material is expressly prohibited.
- Any form of door to door advertising or solicitation must be approved by a request to event services.