Sexual Violence Policy & Response

[Quick Exit]

Sexual violence is a serious and complicated reality both on and off university campuses.

Sexual violence is not tolerated in our residence communities and our Residence Life team is dedicated to providing both programming and support related to sexual violence.

When students do experience sexual violence, our student and professional staff are trained in providing immediate support and connecting survivors with appropriate resources. We provide a safe, non-judgmental, and consistent space for students to share their experience and get access to resources.

Student Affairs Abuse and Sexual Harassment

Get Help Now

If you have been sexually assaulted or have experienced another form of sexual violence:

  • Understand it’s not your fault
  • Tell someone you trust

As a residence student, you can speak to your Don or to any other Don in the building. You may call your Front Desk and a staff member will be dispatched to you. Alternatively, you can speak directly to a Residence Life Coordinator.

Residence staff will listen and provide resources. You will be offered the opportunity to meet with Barb Lotan, the Sexual Violence Prevention and Response Coordinator. This is your choice.

In residence, when you disclose an incident of sexual violence to a residence student leader (ie. Don), the Residence Life Coordinator, a professional staff member, will be called and will attend. It is your choice whether or not you speak to the Residence Life Coordinator.

Support in residence is available any time of day or night. Dons are on call each evening and a Residence Life Coordinator are on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

How will Residence Life respond?

If you disclose to a Don, they will call a Residence Life Coordinator, who will attend to provide additional support and assess safety. It is your choice whether or not you speak to the Residence Life Coordinator. You will be offered information about resources and the actions you may choose to pursue (ie. get medical attention, connect with off-campus resources, make a formal report).

You will be offered the opportunity to provide your information for Barb Lotan, the Sexual Violence Prevention and Response Coordinator to connect with you.

Residence Life staff are required to document your disclosure in an internal residence system. You are able to ask to view what’s been documented. If you choose to disclose the name of the perpetrator, Residence Life may be required to take action (ie. relocation of the perpetrator) based on the assessment for need of public and personal safety.

Will it be confidential if I tell someone in residence?

Any questions or concerns about confidentiality should be posed to the individual prior to disclosure, if possible. Generally speaking, the only individuals at Queen’s that can assure complete confidentiality are those providing medical or individual counselling services (ie. Student Wellness Services) or Barb Lotan, the Sexual Violence Prevention and Response Coordinator.

Do I have to share the name of the perpetrator/other person if I just want to talk to someone?

No. We are committed to providing support to you regardless of how you choose to proceed or how much information you decide to share. Because our services will be concerned about your on-going safety and the safety of the community, you may be asked for the name of, and some information about, the perpetrator. You are invited to discuss any concerns you have about providing information with the individual requesting.

The perpetrator/other person lives on my floor/in my residence building. What should I do? Will I still have to live in the same building as the perpetrator?

If there is a safety risk to you or to other residents, Residence Life staff will meet with the perpetrator. Possible outcomes for the perpetrator include having no contact with the survivor (in which case, the survivor must be named), a mandatory move to a different building, a termination of their residence contract, and/or a Notice of Prohibition to residence.

I experienced sexual violence outside of residence. Can I still get support in residence?

Yes. Your Don, another Don in your building, or a Residence Life Coordinator are always available to provide support and information about resources.

Is there a time limit to when I can disclose?

No. Residence Life staff will provide support, a listening ear and offer resources regardless of when an incident of sexual violence occurred. If you share about something that took place prior to your arrival at Queen’s and you choose to share with a Don, a Residence Life Coordinator will not attend, unless there is a concern for your safety, or the safety of others in your community. You may request to speak to a Residence Life Coordinator at any time, should you choose.

What do I do if someone discloses to me?

Listen without judgment. Let the survivor know that you believe them. You don’t need to ask the survivor what happened, rather, ask how you can help. If the survivor would like to talk to someone that can let them know about their options and other resources, encourage them to contact Barb Lotan, Sexual Violence Prevention and Response Coordinator.

I have been named as a respondent/perpetrator. Who can I talk to?

As per Queen’s Policy on Sexual Violence, the university will ensure that you receive appropriate support and advice. The University Ombudsperson is able to provide information and resources about your rights as a respondent.

[Quick Exit]