Withdrawing from Queen’s Residence

Please note that this policy was in effect at the time of the 2020-2021 residence contract signing.  In response to the evolving circumstances of the COVID-19 pandemic, including the provincial stay-at-home order in effect as of January 14, the university has implemented additional options for withdrawal or deferred arrival, with extended refunds and fee adjustments now available.  Please refer to the Current Students page for more information.



After a resident has either taken occupancy of a residence room or picked up keys, the resident cannot cancel their residence agreement and are financially responsible for the full 8 month term residence fees (or 4 month term fees for fall only or winter only exchange students).

Medical and Academic Withdrawal

A resident may request cancellation of the agreement only if withdrawing from the University for academic or medical reasons. If a resident is withdrawing for one of these 2 reasons, there are three things they must do to receive a prorated refund of their residence fees:

  1. Withdraw from program courses through the faculty or Registrar’s office (course enrolment cancellation is verified by the Residence Admissions office)
  2. Email reshouse@queensu.ca
  3. Vacate their room and return keys to the designated front desk for their building

The withdrawal from residence date will be based on the date that all 3 steps are completed.

Fee Refund Schedule

ResNet and Student Council Fee refunds

Prior to September 30 – 100%
October 1 to January 31 – 50%
February 1 and after – 0%

Residence room and meal plan refunds

Fall term

Move in to September 23 – 100%
September 24 to October 7 – 50%
October 8 to November 4 – 25%
November 5 to end of exams – 0%

Winter term

January 1 to January 20 – 100%
January 21st to February 3 – 50%
February 4 to March 3 – 25%
March 4 to move out – 0%

*Refunds pertain to room and board fees only. Deposits are non-refundable

Withdrawal from Residence but not Academics

If a resident wants to withdraw from Residence but continue attending classes, they will be permitted to do so if another student not currently living in residence can be found to take over their contract. The student must be approved by the Residence Admissions office and must be the same student type (i.e.- first year, upper-year or exchange). A refund will be calculated based on the first full day the replacement resident becomes responsible for the fees. The balance owing will then be transferred to their SOLUS account.

If a resident wants to withdraw from Residence because they feel that the Residence environment is causing a medical concern they must set up a meeting with the Residence Admissions Manager to be advised on this process. These requests will be assessed on a case by case basis involving the Manager and Director of Housing and Ancillary Services and an Advisor from the Queen’s Student Accessibility Office.

Termination of Contract for Disciplinary Reasons

If the University terminates a student’s contract as a result of violation of the Residence Contract, University Policies and/or Residence Community Standards, the student remains responsible for payment of the full residence fees for the 8 month term (4 month term for half term exchange students). If their contract is terminated for this reason, they will not be eligible to live in Residence or Queen’s Community Housing for the remainder of the current academic year. Housing requests for
future academic years may be considered on an individual basis.

If more information is needed, please email reshouse@queensu.ca