Jean Royce Hall
Jean Royce Hall, Student House and room #
535 Union Street
Kingston, ON K7M 2B9
Jean Royce Hall
Open 24 hours a day
Move In Information
About Jean Royce
Jean Royce Hall was built in 1974 and is named after Jean Royce, Queen’s Registrar for 35 years (1933 – 1969). The 12 individual houses within the Jean Royce complex are named for former faculty and trustees. A mixed-gender environment with housing for over 700 residents in total, Jean Royce is just a short 20-minute walk from main campus and bus service is available. The houses located within Jean Royce Hall include: Angus, Boucher, Bryce, Curran, Douglas, Healey, Laird, Miller, Roy, Shortliffe, Tracy and Trotter. Please note that there are no elevators in these buildings. First-Year students in all faculties and exchange students are housed at Jean Royce Hall.
Note: Queen’s has 17 residence buildings – and they are all unique. Our oldest building – Ban Righ Hall, was built in 1925 – and our newest buildings – Brant and Smith -were built in 2015. That means each building is different in size, furnishings and layout – and that your room may not look at all like your neighbour’s room.
We’ve provided some photos and videos to give you an idea of our room types, but please know that your specific room may not look like the examples. Rooms vary quite a bit in size and furnishings. Some rooms have carpets, while others do not. Window sizes, closets and other features change from room to room.
We update buildings through a planned maintenance schedule, so the photos and videos on this website may not show recent improvements right away. Please keep this in mind when viewing our building pages.
- mixed-gender environment
- single and double rooms
- Bedroom size is 8.75 x 11.5 to 12 x 15. Please note that rooms vary considerably in terms of size and furnishings
- Beds require Twin-XL sized sheets
- Indoor access (Phase 1) to West Campus Dining Hall and late-night café (pool table, TV and coffee bar with snacks)
- Access to Theatre Royce – movie room with surround sound, data projector and large screen
- A games room is located on the main level
- Connected to the Faculty of Education and the Education Library
- Close to waterfront, running paths, parks and historic Portsmouth Village neighbourhood
- New small fitness areas
- Washrooms – individual washrooms and showers on each floor
- Laundry – located on the third floor of each house
- Wireless Internet – available on the ground floor and in rooms adjacent to the front reception, theatre and dining hall
- Vending Machines – located on the main level
- JRH phase 1 Garbage Room – Located in the basement. Room C144
- JRH phase 2 Garbage Room – Located in the basement. Room P113
Bath & Bed Linens
If you are interested in purchasing bed linens, pillows, bath packages, and other personal items to be delivered directly to your residence room, please contact Campus Linens at: https://campuslinenscanada.com/.
For Leggett Hall, Watts Hall, Brant House, please order linen packages 4A or 4B. Packages 1A to 3B will work for all other residences.
- There are no elevators in Jean Royce Hall building