Harkness Hall, Student room #
Victoria Hall Front Desk
Built in 1969, Harkness Hall is named in honour of R.D. Harkness, a chair of Queen’s Board of Trustees in the 1960s. It is located on Earl Street, near the intersection with Alfred Street, one block north of main campus in a residential area near the Smith School of Business and Joseph S. Stauffer Library.
Harkness Hall is a 3-storey mixed gender building that houses only first-year students. It has room for about 100 students in mostly single rooms.
Want to see inside?
- Take our Virtual Tour!
- Take our Virtual Reality (VR) Tour!
- Watch our YouTube video below for an example of a single room!
Important information about moving in to residences
Move-In Day is Saturday, Sept. 1, 2018
- You will receive your room assignment, building address, move-in time, and designated parking area via e-mail at the end of August.
- Please respect your assigned move-in time to help with the flow of traffic and lineups.
- If you need specific assistance moving in (e.g. a physical disability), or are arriving via public transit / taxi, please contact our Move-In Assistant at email@example.com or 1-613-929-2697 as soon as possible to make arrangements.
- Volunteers will be on site to assist students from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Please label all of your belongings with your name, building name and room number so our volunteers can assist you in getting your belongings to your room.
- Learn about what to bring and what not to bring to campus
- Harkness Hall is in the Dark Green Zone. Please print the DARK GREEN WINDSHIELD ZONE CARD (PDF) and place it in your windshield before move-in day so our volunteers can direct you to the correct drop-off zone.
- You may also wish to print the colour-coded Residence Life move-in map 2018 (PDF).
Driving Instructions to HARKNESS HALL – Dark Green Zone
- From Highway 401, take exit #619 to Montreal Street
- Continue south on Montreal Street to Brock Street
- Turn right on Brock Street
- Continue on Brock Street and stay in LEFT LANE, to University Avenue
- Turn left on University Avenue
- Continue on University Avenue and stay in the RIGHT LANE, to Earl Street
- Turn right onto Earl Street
- Continue on Earl Street to Harkness Hall
- Stop, Drop and Go Park (see image below).
- Please do not leave your vehicle unattended while dropping off belongings. Cars left unattended will be towed to an outer campus parking lot.
- You will receive a designated parking area. Queen’s University’s on-campus lots are free on Saturday, Sept. 1, however there is a 3-hour parking limit for all surface parking lots.
- Parking map coming soon.
- Campus streets will be closed the night before move-in day (Friday, August 31) to ensure the routes are clear.
- There are no early arrivals available. Please do not arrive prior to 8:00 a.m., and do not park your car on campus overnight, as it will be towed.
- If you require accommodations/storage in Kingston prior to move-in day, or after you have dropped off your student, please be sure to book accommodations early as local hotels/motels book up quickly.
- There are a few carts available – but you may want to bring a portable luggage cart if you have one. Note: There are no elevators in Harkness Hall.
- WINDSHIELD ZONE CARD (Harkness Hall – Dark Green Zone) – Download, print, and put in your vehicle before move-in day
- Queen’s University Residence Life move-in map 2018 – Download and print a copy
- PARKING MAP – *Coming soon
- Visit our Move-In Day page for everything you need to know before you arrive at Queen’s