Harkness Hall, Student room #
Victoria Hall Front Desk
Built in 1969, Harkness Hall is named in honour of R.D. Harkness, a chair of Queen’s Board of Trustees in the 1960s. It is located on Earl Street, near the intersection with Alfred Street, one block north of main campus in a residential area near the Smith School of Business and Joseph S. Stauffer Library.
Harkness Hall is a 3-storey mixed gender building that houses only first-year students. It has room for about 100 students in mostly single rooms.
Want to see inside?
- Take our Virtual Tour!
- Take our Virtual Reality (VR) Tour!
- Watch our YouTube video below for an example of a single room!
Important information about Moving-In
Move-In Day is Saturday, Sept. 1, 2018
- You will receive your room & building assignment and move-in time to your Queen’s email on Thursday, Aug. 23 around 4:30pm.
- Please respect your assigned move-in time to help with the flow of traffic and lineups.
- If you need specific assistance moving in (e.g. a physical disability), or are arriving via public transit / taxi, please contact our Move-In Assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-613-929-2697 as soon as possible to make arrangements.
- Volunteers will be on site to assist students from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Please label all of your belongings with your name, building name and room number so our volunteers can assist you in getting your belongings to your room.
- Learn about what to bring and what not to bring to campus
Important: Please print the DARK GREEN WINDSHIELD ZONE CARD (PDF) and place it in your windshield before move-in day so our volunteers can direct you to the correct drop-off zone.
Please follow these driving instructions (not online maps or GPS) as there is construction in Kingston and a number of streets around the campus will be re-routed for Move-In Day.
Driving Instructions to HARKNESS HALL – Dark Green Zone
- From Highway 401, take exit #619 to Montreal Street
- Continue south on Montreal Street to Brock Street
- Turn RIGHT on Brock Street
- Continue on Brock Street and stay in the LEFT LANE, to University Avenue
- Turn LEFT on University Avenue
- Continue on University Avenue and stay in the RIGHT LANE, to Earl Street
- Turn RIGHT onto Earl Street
- Continue on Earl Street to Harkness Hall
- Stop, Drop belongings/student for check-in, Go Park (see image below)
- Please do not leave your vehicle unattended while dropping off belongings. Cars left unattended will be towed to an outer campus parking lot.
DARK GREEN ZONE PARKING DIRECTIONS
- Continue on Earl Street and turn LEFT onto Frontenac Street.
- Enter the Kingston Collegiate & Vocational Institute Parking lot on the left side of Frontenac Street.
- Park your vehicle (3 hours MAXIMUM).
- Return to Harkness Hall on foot.
- Campus streets will be closed the night before move-in day (Friday, August 31) to ensure the routes are clear. Please do not park your car on-campus overnight, as it will be towed.
- Please do not arrive prior to 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 1.
- If you require accommodations/storage in Kingston prior to move-in day, or after you have dropped off your student, please be sure to book accommodations early as local hotels/motels book up quickly.
- There are a few carts available – but you may want to bring a portable luggage cart if you have one.
- Note: There are no elevators in Harkness Hall.
- WINDSHIELD ZONE CARD (Harkness Hall – Dark Green Zone) – Download, print, and put in your vehicle before move-in day
- Queen’s University Residence Life move-in map 2018 – Download and print a copy
- PARKING MAP (Dark Green Zone) – Download and print a copy
- Visit our Move-In Day page for everything you need to know before you arrive at Queen’s