David C. Smith House
David C. Smith House, Student room #
222 Stuart Street
Kingston, ON K7L 2W1
Open 24 hours a day
About David C. Smith House
David C. Smith House is our Residence for upper year students. It opened in September 2015, and is named in honour of former Principal Dr. David C. Smith, who served as Queen’s Principal from 1984 to 1994.
A nationally respected economist, Principal Smith began teaching at Queen’s in 1961. He served as head of the Department of Economics from 1968-1981 and was appointed Principal in 1984. During his two terms as Principal, Queen’s underwent numerous changes, including the founding of the Women’s Studies Department and the Bader International Study Centre, and the construction of numerous buildings, including Stauffer Library and the Biosciences Complex.
Note: Queen’s has 17 residence buildings – and they are all unique. Our oldest building – Ban Righ Hall, was built in 1925 – and our newest buildings – Brant and Smith -were built in 2015. That means each building is different in size, furnishings and layout – and that your room may not look at all like your neighbour’s room.
We’ve provided some photos and videos to give you an idea of our room types, but please know that your specific room may not look like the examples. Rooms vary quite a bit in size and furnishings. Some rooms have carpets, while others do not. Window sizes, closets and other features change from room to room.
We update buildings through a planned maintenance schedule, so the photos and videos on this website may not show recent improvements right away. Please keep this in mind when viewing our building pages.
- A mixed-gender environment with single plus rooms and attached full washroom (shared between two rooms)
- The bedroom size is 9.5 x 15. Please note that bedrooms can vary in terms of size and furnishings
- Beds are extra long (80″ x 54″) and require Queen-sized sheets
- Common room with cable television and full kitchen located in each wing
- * Televisions are provided in each student room in Smith and Brant houses, as well as in some lounges. Cable television can be accessed in the lounges only, while student room TVs have HDMI capability for gaming and streaming devices (ex. Apple TV, Amazon Fire Stick, Google Chromecast), as well as laptop connection (adapter may be required).
- ** If your computer is wireless only, you will need to bring your own wireless router.
Location 21, a retail food outlet, is located on the ground floor
- Washrooms – semi-private, shared between 2 bedrooms
- Laundry – located on the main level
- Kitchens in common rooms on each floor
- Vending machines located on the main floor
- In-room television*
- Wireless internet in each room and hallways **
- Refrigerator in each room
If you are interested in purchasing bed linens, pillows, bath packages, or other personal items to be delivered directly to your residence room, please contact Campus Linens at https://campuslinenscanada.com/.
For Leggett Hall, Watts Hall, Brant House, & David C. Smith House, please order linen packages 4A or 4B. Packages 1A to 3B will work for all other residences.