Chown Hall, student room #
175 Stuart Street
Kingston, ON K7L 3N8
Open from 8am-midnight
Located on the north side of Stuart Street, this four-storey limestone residence was completed in 1960 and named after May Chown (BA 1911), who was treasurer of the Ban Righ Board for many years. Chown Hall is a mixed-gender residence and features many interesting rooms and common spaces.
Note: Queen’s has 17 residence buildings – and they are all unique. Our oldest building – Ban Righ Hall, was built in 1925 – and our newest buildings – Brant and Smith -were built in 2015. That means each building is different in size, furnishings and layout – and that your room may not look at all like your neighbour’s room.
We’ve provided some photos and videos to give you an idea of our room types, but please know that your specific room may not look like the examples. Rooms vary quite a bit in size and furnishings. Some rooms have carpets, while others do not. Window sizes, closets and other features change from room to room.
We update buildings through a planned maintenance schedule, so the photos and videos on this website may not show recent improvements right away. Please keep this in mind when viewing our building pages.
Single room in Chown Hall
- Mixed gender environment with single, double and triple rooms on five floors, for just over 200 students
- Bedrooms range in size from 10 x 13 to 12 x 13. Please note that bedrooms vary considerably in terms of size and furnishings
- Beds require Twin-XL sized sheets
- Historic residence with interesting room features
- Large common room on the main floor with large screen television
- Located near Kingston General Hospital and Nixon Field
- Washrooms – individual washrooms on each floor
- Laundry – located on the lower level
- Kitchens –large common room with kitchen on the main level, snack kitchens on each floor
- Wireless Internet – available in the main level front foyer and lower level common room
- Vending Machines – located on the main level
- Garbage Room – Located in the basement. Room G12