Please note, that in order to maintain a quiet study environment, you are required to vacate Residences no later than 24 hours after completing your last exam. If there is a reason that you need to stay longer, you must request approval to do so using our April Residence Extension Request Application Form (look for the icon after signing in to the Student Gateway). Please note that all Residences close at noon on April 27, 2018 and you must vacate by that time.
Moving Out of Your Room
Important! Please do a thorough check of your room (look under bed, in all drawers/wardrobes, etc.) prior to checking out to make sure that you have all of your belongings. Items left in rooms after check-out are done so at the student’s own risk. Found items will be transported to a storage area and kept for a short time before being discarded. Housing & Ancillary Services assumes no responsibility or liability for any found/transported/stored items.
To avoid unnecessary changes to your student account, please ensure that you do the following before checking out of residence:
- move furniture back to its original place and in a condition suitable for immediate occupancy
- remove all garbage and recycling
- ensure that you have left all items you received upon move-in (bed/mattress, phone and cords, recycling bag, desk chair, wastebasket)
- remove any tape from the walls
- check all drawers for personal belongings
- lock the door behind you when you leave
A Residence staff member will inspect your room after you have checked out and charges will be placed on your account if items are missing, the room is damaged or extra cleaning is required.
Checking out and Desk hours
To check out of Residence, you must sign out at your main desk and hand in your keys and laundry card.
- You must return all issued keys to the main desk on the day you move out (within 24 hours after your last exam).
- You must return keys to the main desk personally – do not leave keys in your room or give them to a Don or anyone else. There is a main desk open 24 hours/day.
- You cannot mail back or return your keys after you check out. Any keys not returned at check-out will be considered lost and charges will be placed on your student account. You may not be able to access your grades if you have outstanding charges on your account.
Please remove keys from key rings. You can check out at the following main desks:
- Victoria Hall Desk – Graduate Residence, Harkness Hall and Victoria Hall
- Leggett Hall Desk – Adelaide Hall, Ban Righ Hall, Chown Hall, Leggett Hall, Morris Hall & Smith House
- Watts Hall Desk – Brant House, Brockington House, Gordon House, Leonard Hall, McNeill House and Watts Hall
- Waldron Tower – Waldron Tower
- Jean Royce Hall – Jean Royce Hall (Phase 1 & 2)
Changing your address
Ensure that you change your address directly with credit card companies, banks and any magazine subscriptions that you may have. Inform friends and family not to send anything after April 1, as it may not arrive before you leave. Canada Post will not redirect mail for students living in residence. Anything that is received after you leave will be returned to sender.
Please note that storage in Residence is limited (2-item maximum, 2′ x 2′). Only students who are returning to residence in the Fall may apply. Storage may not be in the building where you live, and the items will not be accessible again until after Labour Day. Contact your Front Desk or the Facilities Control Centre (ext.33155) between 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. to make arrangements to store your items.
The following storage facilities are available in Kingston:
- ABC Storage – 1414 Audrey St. (613) 542-1985
- Access Storage – 31 Steve Fonyo Dr. (613) 531-3114
- All About Storage – 1600 Bath Rd. (613) 389-1655
- Apple Self Storage – 351 Select Drive. (613) 877-2047
- Martin’s Storage – 42 Terry Fox Dr. (613) 545-1362
- Martin’s Storage – 95 Terry Fox Dr. 613-542-4510
- Spaces Self Storage – P.O. Box 26010 Gardiners, 613-544-7319
- Store Your Dorm
- U-Haul Storage – 2459 Princess St. (613) 549-8880
- U-Lock Storage – 685 Development Dr. (613) 389-8669
Please be advised that you must contact these companies directly to make storage arrangements.
Don’t want to take everything home with you? Help others and recycle!
Bags will be available in all lounges by the 2nd week of April – simply fill your bag with clothing and shoe donations and deposit it at your residence’s specified drop-off location:
|Reisdence||Drop off Location||Hours|
|Adelaide/ Ban Righ||Laundry Room – Basement of Adelaide Rm 015||Anytime|
|Brant House||Laundry Room 106||Anytime|
|Chown Hall||Recycling Room G12||Anytime|
|Gord/Brock||Brock side, Garbage/Recycle Room 118||Anytime|
|Grad Residence||Pool Table Room 324||Anytime|
|Harkness Hall||Ground Floor Foyer||Anytime|
|Jean Royce Hall||Phase I – Beside Common Room C115||Anytime|
|Jean Royce Hall||Phase II – Garbage/Recycle Room||Anytime|
|Leggett Hall||Recycling Area, Room 1006||Anytime|
|Leonard Hall||Recycling Room 122||Anytime|
|McNeill||Large Common Room, Ground Floor Room 14||Anytime|
|Morris Hall||Recycling Area, Room B13||Anytime|
|Smith House||Laundry Room 131||Anytime|
|Victoria Hall||Ground Floor Laundry Room B005||Anytime|
|Waldron Tower||Vending Machine Room 1-127||Anytime|
|Watts Hall||Fireplace Lounge, Ground Floor||Anytime|
If you have any questions please call the Facilities Control Centre @ 613-533-3155
Please keep using the recycling depot in your building until the end of term – any recyclable items or garbage that is left in the hallways of your floor/house will result in clean-up charges.
Extra dumpsters and toters will be placed in various locations the Monday before move-out weekend. Please use appropriately.
If you have any questions please call the Facilities Control Centre at 533-3155.
Accommodations In Kingston
If you require accommodations in Kingston, Visit Kingston has information about available accommodations throughout Kingston.