First-Year Undergraduate Students

We are excited to welcome you – the class of 2024 – to our community!

Faculties and schools have confirmed that the delivery of the majority of undergraduate programs will be remote for the fall term, due to the ongoing pandemic. Among the incoming class, only first-year nursing students will have in-person, on-campus learning this fall.

The university has determined that 2,300 students will live in residence this fall, to ensure compliance with continued physical distancing and public health requirements. This is approximately 50% of our normal capacity.

Students have been offered a residence room on a priority basis; priority groups included: students in programs with on-campus classes, those admitted under specialized pathways, and students with learning needs or personal circumstances that create challenges or barriers to academic success in a remote learning context and/or require access to on-campus support services.

Rooms are single occupancy only. This includes single-plus room types (a washroom shared and accessible to only two students), as well as single rooms in buildings with communal washrooms, on both our main and west campus. There will be changes in the residence environment, to ensure we are complying with public health requirements.

Residence applications have now closed. 

Here’s an outline of what you can expect next:

  • Week of July 13 – You will receive an email to your queensu student account confirming whether or not you will be offered a residence space
  • Week of July 13 – If you’ve been offered a residence space, we will call you to share further details about what living in residence will be like in fall 2020 and we can answer any questions you have
  • July 31 – Emails with an offer of a specific room assignment have been issued. Please check your Queen’s student email account for important information.  You will need to accept your room assignment by August 6, 4:30 pm EDT.
  • August 6, 2020, 4:30 pm EDT – Deadline to accept offers for a residence space beginning fall 2020
  • Week of August 31 – Residence move-in begins (multiple days). Specific dates will be communicated in August

Updated July 31

Room Assignment Questions

Why am I on a waitlist and what are my chances of getting in?

We were able to accommodate all students in the priority groups that the University had identified and there was some additional capacity. Remaining spots were filled through a lottery among those who expressed interest in joining us for the fall, but did not have a particular priority need.

We understand that this result may be disappointing. We do anticipate that circumstances will change for some students who have currently been offered a room, and there may be limited opportunities for students on the waitlist to receive a room offer. Our waitlist is being managed in groups to enable us to assign students by faculty/school should specific spaces become available. The email sent on July 14 included information about your waitlist group.

The waitlist is being managed this way because we are creating floor-based communities among students in the same faculty/program; it’s a “household” model that allows students in the same faculty/program to live together, eat together, socialize and move around campus, as appropriate. This model aims to help reduce the number of contacts among students living in residence and limit the potential spread of the virus as the pandemic continues

I don’t like my room assignment and I want to change it. How do I request a room change?

The process for room change requests initiated by students will open after September 10. In the current COVID context and the approach taken to “cohorting” groups of students to reduce the risk of the spread of illness, there is very limited capacity for moves.

If you choose to accept your room and building offer based on your current assignment, you must understand that a change may not be possible. 

The University has the right to initiate room changes, per section 7.5 in the Residence Contract.

What if there is a second wave of the pandemic and residences have to shut down?

The university is working closely with local Public Health authorities and will take direction from them.  It is possible that students living in residence may face additional restrictions that could further limit mobility around campus or within the residence and Kingston communities. 

I know someone who has a room assignment that they are declining. Can I be assigned to their room instead?

The process for room change requests initiated by students will open after September 10.  The room assignment process is complex and has been even more challenging this year due to the need for physical distancing within residence spaces. In the current COVID context and the approach taken to “cohorting” groups of students to reduce the risk of the spread of illness, it is not possible to make direct one-for-one room exchanges.  The University has the right to initiate room changes, per section 7.5 in the Residence Contract, and will be reviewing room allocations after all confirmations have been received by August 6th.  If you choose to accept your room and building offer based on your current assignment, you must do so with the understanding that a change may not be possible. 

General Fall Term Questions

What will living in residence be like?

This year, due to the pandemic, the residence environment will be different than in a typical year. Many provisions will be in place to promote the health and safety of all residents. It’s important that you recognize that as part of living in residence, health and safety is a collective responsibility – everyone has a role to play: the university, your peers, and you. Face masks are mandatory in all public areas of campus. Read the Residence Community Standards to learn more about the guiding principles for residence community living. Here is a summary of what you can expect:

I didn’t get a call from anyone at Queen’s during the call campaign and I still have questions. Who can I talk to?

We made calls to all students with residence room offers between July 14 and July 30, and while we have connected with most of you, we weren’t able to reach everyone. If we weren’t able to reach you, we sent an email on July 31 with information about all of the topic areas covered; this email might help you get the information you need. Please feel free to send us an email at or use the Live Chat feature on our website; we’d be happy to answer any questions!

What dining halls and retail outlets will be open?

Queen’s Hospitality Services is developing an operations plan for the academic year to ensure that a variety of food services are available on campus, including some retail locations.  In collaboration with local Public Health, we will ensure that our operations are able to meet appropriate physical distancing and health and safety guidelines.  We encourage you to book an online appointment with our dietitian if you have specific allergies or dietary needs. More information about your meal plan and food options on campus is available here.

How did Queen’s determine who would live in residence in fall 2020?

Queen’s asked all students who applied to live in residence to submit a Personal Circumstances form by June 30. Students were offered a residence room on a priority basis. Priority groups included: students in programs with on-campus classes, those admitted under specialized pathways, and students with learning needs or personal circumstances that create challenges or barriers to academic success in a remote learning context and/or require access to on-campus support services.

Why are there so many different fall term approaches to residences at universities across the province?

All universities are keeping student safety and well-being as the foremost consideration in decision- making. Some of the factors that would inform an institution’s approach to residences include:

  • Delivery mode of academic programs – Queen’s is delivering most first-year courses and programs remotely
  • Local circumstances with respect to COVID-19  – Queen’s has been seeking advice from local Public Health authorities
  • The architecture and infrastructure of residence buildings and the room styles available – this can impact the approach to the implementation of physical distancing requirements.
What other student housing options are there in Kingston?

Queen’s Community Housing operates many houses and apartments in near-campus neighbourhoods, but all accommodations are currently leased for the 2020-21 academic year. There are many private landlords that offer a range of housing options. Please visit the Student Community Relations website for more information and advice about renting.

Move In and Pre-arrival

How soon will I know my move-in date so I can make travel plans?

Move in will take place over a period of five days, from September 1st to September 5th.  You will receive an email the week of August 10th when you will be able to self-select your move in day and time, within specific timeslots each day. Available spaces within each time slot will be limited based on physical distancing requirements.  Please note that you are permitted to bring a maximum of two family members/supports to assist with moving items.  Masks must be worn at all times during the move-in process. 

You’ll receive an email after you select your time with logistical details like where to park and how to check in. We look forward to welcoming you to residence!

I live outside of Canada. Can I complete my 14-day quarantine in residence? How much will it cost? Is there food?

Yes, you can complete the 14-day quarantine in residence. You should plan to arrive by August 17. Prior to undertaking travel, you will be required to complete a form detailing your travel arrangements to Kingston. You should arrange for private transport from your port of entry to campus. The daily room and board rate will be $50. This rate includes accommodation and food. More information will be provided during individual calls. Please review information from the Government of Canada as soon as possible to assist in your planning.

Are masks required during move-in?

Yes. Masks are required to be worn in residence at all times during the move-in process. Everyone who enters residence to assist with the move in process is required to wear a mask.

I need help moving my things in. How many helpers can I have to assist me with move-in?

A maximum of two helpers are permitted in residence when moving your articles into your room. Masks are required to be worn by everyone, including your helpers during the move-in process.

I require additional assistance moving in.

If you need specific assistance moving in, please contact us in advance at

I’m shopping for residence, what should I bring?

Our handy checklist and move-in video can help you figure out what to bring to residence, and what to leave at home. Bedrooms and furnishings vary from building to building, so wait to buy bedsheets, fridges and wireless routers until you receive your room assignment.

If you are interested in purchasing bed linens, pillows, bath packages, and other personal items to be delivered directly to your residence room, please contact Campus Linens at For Leggett Hall, Watts Hall and Brant House, please order linen packages 4A or 4B. Packages 1A to 3B will work for all other residences

I am bringing a bike with me. Where can I store it?

Consider using our secure bike storage to keep your bike safe. There is also a bike-sharing service in Kingston and on campus.

Can I move into residence early?

We are unable to offer early move-in.

What if I am sick? Can I still move in?

Do not move in if you are sick. Please contact to alert us that you are ill, and we will delay your arrival date.

What if I travel internationally in August and am unable to move-in by August 17, 2020?

All students arriving from international destinations must have direct contact with our team to arrange your plans. You should have already received information about the isolation requirements that the federal government has imposed with respect to arrival in Canada. We will assist you if you require a late arrival. Please email to explain your circumstances.

Finance-related Questions

If I decide not to live in residence, can I have my deposit back?

Deposits will be refunded if you decline your offer by August 6th at 4:30 pm EDT; if you decline after August 6th at 4:30 pm EDT our standard refund policy will apply. If you are not living in residence in the fall but would like to leave your deposit on your student account as you wait for further information about the possible availability of a room in winter term, you can do so. If we are unable to offer you a room for winter term, we will refund your deposit at that time.

I was hoping to choose a shared room option for financial reasons. What if I can’t afford a single room option in residence?

While double and loft double rooms won’t be available in September due to physical distancing guidelines, there are different cost options for single room and board fees on campus: Single-plus rooms are $16,605, while a single room is $15,607. Students looking for help financing their education can explore a variety of financial assistance programs administered by the Queen’s Student Awards Office

The confirmation form I received after accepting indicates a ‘room rate’. What are the total fees for residence?

In addition to the room rate of either $15,188 (single) or $16,186 (single-plus), you will see separate fees posted in your SOLUS account of $150 flex (part of the meal plan), $109 for Residence Society (peer-led residence government) and $160 for Residence Technology. Total payable fees therefore are $15,607 for single and $16,605 for single plus.

What is the residence withdrawal policy?

Our standard refund policy will apply after August 6th at 4:30 pm EDT.   Details available here.

Winter Term Questions

Will students with on-campus academic activities in the winter term be guaranteed a room in residence?

Queen’s will be prioritizing any available residence spaces in the winter term for first-year students with on-campus learning experiences. Finalized plans for winter term residence operations will be confirmed in early fall. Residences will be communicating with all students who identified on their completed Personal Circumstances form that they were interested in the winter term only. You do not need to reapply for the winter term.

Residence Application Process and Information

Applications for the 2020/2021 academic year are now closed.

How to apply in 4 steps

If you are planning to live in residence, and have been offered admission to Queen’s, please complete the application process and submit your deposit by 4:00 p.m. EDT., June 8, 2020.

Step 1: Accept your offer of admission to Queen’s on the Ontario University Application Centre.

Step 2: Login to the NetID profile manager webpage and activate your NetID account using the 8 digit student ID number provided to you at the time of your Queen’s application.

Step 3: Complete your residence application.

Step 4: Pay your $525 (CDN) residence deposit.

Residence Fees

The $525 residence deposit is due with the residence application on June 8, 2020. The remainder of your residence fees will be split in two. The first half is due by September 30, 2020, and the second half is due by January 31, 2021.

Residence applications will not be processed until your deposit is received

Learn more about our residence fee schedule, deposits, information and refund policy here.

Living Learning communities

Living Learning Communities (LLCs) are floors or clusters of rooms where students with similar interests and values live together and engage in creative, social, and educational programming related to the topic of their specific community. 

Academic Faculty-Based Floors

  • Computer Science Floor
  • Nursing Floor
  • Science Floor

Interest-Based Floors

  • Active Living Floor
  • Bimaadiziwin Ka’nikonhriyo (Indigenous & Allies) Floor
  • Creative Arts Floor
  • Eco-Friendly Floor
  • Leadership Floor

Read about our communities.

LLCs provide students with the opportunity to:

  • Meet like-minded friends
  • Connect with a variety of Queen’s Faculty outside of the classroom
  • Share goals, projects, and challenges
  • Benefit from peer and professionally-led events created with students’ interests and development in mind

Core LLC Experiences

  • Learning Lunches: Shared lunches with faculty or staff members
  • Bi-Weekly Community Meetings: Led by LLC Don where current programs and events are discussed
  • Leadership Skill-Building Workshops: All members of the LLCs come together to improve leadership skills and network
  • LLC Legacy Project: A year-long project that each LLC will pass on to the incoming LLC students

Click here to see the Living-Learning Communities Viewbook

Lifestyle Based communities

Study Floor

Open to:  students who are interested in a study-focused environment. Our study floor, featuring 22 hours of quiet each day, is ideal for students looking for a quiet living atmosphere within residence. Residents and their guests both agree to abide by the principles of this floor by maintaining low noise levels

Alcohol & Cannabis not preferred community

Open to:  students who are willing to make an affirmative commitment to maintaining a living environment free from alcohol, cannabis and other drugs.  Led by their Don, students in this community will be asked to take an active role in creating a community agreement that outlines community expectations, norms and desires.  You may be interested in this community if you:

  • have made a conscious choice not to engage in substance use (alcohol, cannabis or other drugs)
  • make this choice based on personal or family history with substance abuse, or addiction, personal or faith-based convictions or for any other reason.

In this community, students will find less peer pressure to use substances and more support in choosing not to consume.


If you require specific accommodations, either health or non-health related as part of your residence application, submit your request using our required Residence Health/non-Health accommodation forms.  These forms are due by the June 8 deadline, along with your application. For more information and to access the forms, please visit the accommodation page link here.

Roommate matching

You are able to request a specific roommate on the residence application. Students wanting to room together will need to choose a group leader.  The group leader will need to click the “create group” button on the application and invite others to join the group.  The student(s) invited will then be responsible for accepting or declining the invitation.  Students must accept or decline by the June 8 application deadline.  The group leader will be able to check the status of who has accepted or declined.

Please keep in mind the following when requesting a roommate(s)

  • You cannot choose roommates in single plus rooms – these are not shared rooms.
  • The leader must know all of the potential roommates’ full name(s) in Solus and eight-digit student ID number(s)
  • Any changes to the group and all acceptances must be completed by June 8, 2020.
  • Be sure to discuss your building preferences with your roommate(s) in advance of the self-selection week in July. Whichever roommate has the earliest self-selection window will be responsible for choosing the room for the group.

Unfortunately we cannot guarantee roommate matches.

Frequently Asked Questions

I’m having trouble connecting with my health care provider to get my accommodation form filled out. What should I do?

Some health care providers are doing phone appointments to fill out the accommodation forms.  If your regular Health Care Provider is unable to do this you could ask  another health care provider (specialist) who has knowledge of your health condition.  Keep in mind that the forms are not due until June 8th so depending on the evolving COVID-19 situation, you may be able to have your form filled out at a later date while still meeting our deadline.  If you are unable to have your form filled out by mid-May, please contact and the Admissions Manager can discuss some other options.

I have more questions – who can I contact?

Please email and someone from our team will be happy to assist you.