First Year Students
All new, first year incoming full-time students are guaranteed a space in residence if your application form and deposit are received by the deadline.
Our room guarantee does not apply if we receive either your residence application or deposit after the deadline – the onus is on you to ensure that your application and deposit are received on time.
Here’s what you need to know about your room assignment:
- Each of our residences has unique features, and rooms vary in size, layout and amenities. Students tell us that the residence community experience is more important than specific room or building choices.
- First year students are assigned single, double, triple or quad rooms on both main and west campus using a random computer lottery process – this process takes into consideration, but does not guarantee, the preferences listed on your application. Note that the chances of getting one of your preferences depends a great deal on a number of variables, including the lottery number, the number of students with similar preferences, and the availability of particular preferences in any given year.
- If the lottery program cannot find a room that matches your preference, you will still be assigned a room (single,double, triple or quad).
- Room, and roommate preferences can be submitted via the on-line application, however we cannot guarantee preferences. In order to request a specific roommate in a double/triple/quad room with a preferred room mate(s), students must indicate their first preference as double/triple/quad and must also select each other on the application. If double/triple/quad room is not selected as the first preference or your room mate(s) has/have not selected you, then the match is not possible.
- All residence buildings are smoke-free.
- Most room assignments are available in mid to end of August, however in some circumstances we may still be assigning rooms up until the time of move-in day. We will do our best to inform you of your assignment prior to move-in.
Apply to Residence
Moving to Residence at Queen’s? Our students tell you what it’s like to live with a roommate, and offer tips for a successful roommate relationship!
On the Waiting List?
Our room guarantee does not apply if we receive either your residence application or deposit after the deadline. Please note that the onus is on you to ensure that your application and deposit are received on time.
Students who miss the deadline will be placed on a waiting list based on the date that a completed application with deposit has been received. Our ability to place students on the waiting list into a residence room varies greatly from year to year and depends on cancellations received through the summer.