Winter Holiday Stay Over
Staying in Residence Over the University Holiday Closure
Do you need to stay in residence past December 19, 2014? Do you need to return to residence before January 3, 2015? If you answered yes to one or both of these questions, then you need let us know! The University will close at noon on December 24th–after that there will be no services available to students until it re-opens on Monday January 5th. It is important we know who is in residence for your safety and security.
Please complete the Holiday Stay Over From by Monday, December 15, 2014 which can be found on the Student Housing Gateway https://studentweb.housing.queensu.ca/.
Once you have completed the form, you will receive an email right away to your @queensu.ca email account with further information regarding services during the holiday closure.
In accordance with our Residence Rules & Regulations (http://residences.housing.queensu.ca/resrules/), any resident who is disruptive to the residence community after completing their last December exam may receive a temporary suspension from residence effective from the date of the infraction to January 4, 2015.
Any correspondence during the holiday closure will be communicated with students through their @queensu.ca email.
If, however, you have made arrangements with Residence Life to stay in your residence room between Friday, December 19, 2014 and Saturday, January 3, 2015 please be aware of the following information:
Queen’s University, including all residence offices and front desks, will be closed after noon Wednesday, December 24, 2014 and will re-open on Monday, January 5, 2015.
There will be minimal service during this holiday period including:
o no custodial, office or front desk services
o no food service (retail or dining hall)
o vending machines will not be restocked
o no mail/courier delivery
o all buildings will be locked
o no one will be available to respond to ResNet or ResTel inquiries or problems
Please see our website for the individual Dining Hall Hours during the holidays at http://dining.housing.queensu.ca/
Campus Security and the Emergency Report Centre will be staffed 24 hours a day during the holiday period. A supervisor will be on duty and regular patrols will check all residences to ensure that all exterior doors are locked.
Emergency Phone Number: x36111
Non-Emergency Phone Number: x36733
In case of a fire alarm, exit your residence building immediately. Our fire alarm systems are monitored 24 hours a day, so in the event of a fire or a false alarm, Campus Security and the Kingston Fire Department will respond immediately. Do not re-enter your residence until the Fire Department or Campus Security has given the “all clear” signal. Please be especially careful when cooking – do not leave your food unattended.
Health, Counseling and Disability Services will be closed during the holidays. Nurses at Tele-health Ontario can respond to questions 24 hours a day at 1-866-797-0000. For more serious medical concerns, go to Kingston General Hospital Emergency. Additional contacts for support are:
Community Crisis Line – 613-544-4229
Good 2 Talk – 1-866-925-5454
Sexual Assault Centre Kingston – 613-544-6424
Kingston Police – 613-549-4660
The University, including all residence administrative offices, will re-open on Monday, January 5, 2015.
Please Note: This is subject to change and signs of operation will be posted at each desk. For the most up to date information, please check the residence website, http://residences.housing.queensu.ca
Holiday Desk Hours–Dates and Times Open/Closed
DrugSmart Pharmacy Holiday Hours (at the Queen’s Centre)
December 1st to 17th – Open regular hours (Monday to Friday, 9am to 10pm, Saturday & Sunday, 10am to 8pm)
December 18th and 19th – Open 9am to 7pm
December 20th to January 3rd – Open 12pm to 4pm; Closed on December 25th and January 1st
January 4th – Open 12noon to 8pm
Regular hours resume Monday January 5th
Grocery Check-Out Fresh Market Holiday Hours (at the Queen’s Centre)
Regular hours until December 18th
Closed from December 19 to January 2nd
Reopening for regular hours on January 3rd
Looking for Things to do on Campus and in Kingston over the break? Here are few ideas to get you started.
- Check out the Queen’s University International Centre (QUIC) for a list of activities – http://quic.queensu.ca/.
- Attend the Holiday Networking Tea hosted by QUIC on Friday, December, 19, 2014 at 2:00pm at QUIC (JDUC, 1st Floor). This is an informal gathering for international and domestic student who will be staying in Kingston over the December holidays. Drop in to meet some new friends and make plans over a hot beverage.
- Check out Four Directions Aboriginal Centre for a list of activities – http://www.queensu.ca/fdasc/.
- Go for a nature walk at the Little Cataraqui Conservation Area. If there is snow, you can also rent snowshoes or cross-country skis for a small fee. Learn more here http://www.cataraquiregion.on.ca/.
- Visit downtown Kingston shops and restaurants or go skating at Springer Market Square. Learn more here https://www.cityofkingston.ca/residents/recreation
- Check out Kingston’s local comedy clubs – http://kingston.absolutecomedy.ca/.
- Catch a show at the Grand Theater – http://kingstongrand.ca/
- Catch a Kingston Frontenac’s hockey game at the KRock Centre – http://www.rogersk-rockcentre.com/.
- Catch a movie – http://www.cineplex.com/Theatres/TheatreListings?cmpid=MainNavEN_theatres, http://www.landmarkcinemas.com/kingston or http://screeningroomkingston.com.
- Do a little shopping at the Cataraqui Town Centre – http://www.cataraquicentre.ca/, RioCan Centre – http://www.riocan.com/PropertySearch/PropertyDetails.aspx?property_id=152, Kings Crossing Outlet Centre – http://www.k-cap.com/kingscrossing/.