Chown Hall was completed in 1960 and is named after May Chown (Ba 1911). It was the third residence built on campus and was one of Queen’s all female residences. In 2011 the residence became co-ed. May Chown was a graduate of Queen’s University and later Treasurer for the Ban Righ Hall Board. She was known for her tireless service on behalf of Queen’s and the community. When the newest women’s residence was being built the Alumnae Association asked the building to be named after her – the decision was unanimous with only Ms. Chown objecting to the name. Eventually, she accepted the honour but insisted that it was a tribute to her family, not just her.
Chown hall is located on Stuart Street and is a four-storey limestone structure that houses about 435 students. Learn More >