Statement of Purpose
Queen’s University’s Housing Services collects certain personal information from resident students and is committed to protecting that information. This information will be used by the University for the following purposes:
• to assess a student’s eligibility for residence accommodation or off-campus housing properties and/or related services
• to process residence application forms and the allocation of bed space
• to identify preferences and special considerations of student for the allocation of rooms
• to assess the efficiency of our operations and the provision of services
• to communicate with students, parents and others regarding our services, or in the event of an emergency
• to address disciplinary, behavioural or health issues that arise
• to bill, collect and account for provision of services
• to provide information to government agencies (such as the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation) for the purpose of municipal, provincial or federal elections
• to preserve and protect the safety and security of residents and the community
• to build and maintain relations with the University while enrolled as a student and beyond.
n.b.: some personal information may be shared with other departments on campus (such as Student Affairs, Campus Security or Health, Counselling and Disability Services) or outside contractors (such as Sodexo) for the purposes of identifying, contacting, serving or helping students.
In the collection, use, disclosure and retention of personal information Queen’s Residences will comply with the University’s Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Guidelines, the University Registrar’s Student and Applicant Record Policy and practices and applicable federal legislation.
Access to Information
Through our website, students have on-line access to their own personal information that appears on their application form. As well, students have the right to inspect documents contained in their own record.
Security of Information
We will take every reasonable precaution to protect the information from loss, misuse or alteration. All on-line information is password-protected and accessible only by the appropriate administrators.
Retention and Destruction of Information
Personal information (hard copy and electronic) will be held only as long as it remains necessary or relevant for the identified purposes, or as required by law. Retention and destruction of personal information is regulated under the University Records Management Policy http://archives.queensu.ca/.
Questions or Concerns
Manager, Residence Admissions
Victoria Hall, Queen’s University
Kingston, Ontario K7L 3N8
Further concerns can be directed to:
Access & Privacy Coordinator
Office of the Vice-Principal (Operations and Finance)
Kingston, Ontario K7L 3N6