David C. Smith House, Student room #
David C. Smith House is our Residence for upper year students. It opened in September 2015, and is named in honour of former Principal Dr. David C. Smith, who served as Queen’s Principal from 1984 to 1994.
A nationally respected economist, Principal Smith began teaching at Queen’s in 1961. He served as head of the Department of Economics from 1968-1981 and was appointed Principal in 1984. During his two terms as Principal, Queen’s underwent numerous changes, including the founding of the Women’s Studies Department and the Bader International Study Centre, and the construction of numerous buildings, including Stauffer Library and the Biosciences Complex.
|Want to see inside?|
Important information about Moving-In
Move-In Day is Saturday, Sept. 1, 2018
- You will receive your room & building assignment and move-in time to your Queen’s email on Thursday, Aug. 23 around 4:30pm.
- Please respect your assigned move-in time to help with the flow of traffic and lineups.
- If you need specific assistance moving in (e.g. a physical disability), or are arriving via public transit / taxi, please contact our Move-In Assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-613-929-2697 as soon as possible to make arrangements.
- Volunteers will be on site to assist students from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Please label all of your belongings with your name, building name and room number so our volunteers can assist you in getting your belongings to your room.
- Learn about what to bring and what not to bring to campus
Important: Please print the WINDSHIELD ZONE CARD (Smith House) and place it in your windshield before move-in day so our volunteers can direct you to the correct drop-off zone.
Please follow these driving instructions (not online maps or GPS) as there is construction in Kingston and a number of streets around the campus will be re-routed for Move-In Day.
Driving Instructions to DAVID C. SMITH HOUSE – Green Zone
- From Highway 401, take exit #619 to Montreal Street
- Continue south on Montreal Street to Brock Street
- Turn right on Brock Street
- Continue on Brock Street and stay in LEFT LANE, to University Avenue
- Turn left on University Avenue
- Once past Union Street, stay in the LEFT LANE on University Avenue
- Continue on University Avenue to Stuart Street
- Turn right onto Stuart Street
- Stay in the LEFT LANE on Stuart Street
- Continue on Stuart Street to David C. Smith House, on the left of Stuart Street
- Stop, Drop belongings/student for check-in, Go Park (see image below)
- Please do not leave your vehicle unattended while dropping off belongings. Cars left unattended will be towed to an outer campus parking lot.
GREEN ZONE PARKING DIRECTIONS
- Turn left into the LEFT LANE of Lower Albert Street
- Turn left onto King Street West.
- Continue down King Street West to Barrie Street
- Turn left onto Barrie Street.
- Continue on Barrie to park at either:
- Miller Parking Lot: from Barrie Street, turn LEFT onto Union Street, and then LEFT onto Arch Street, and the entrance to the Miller Parking Lot will be on your right.
- OR to the Queen’s Centre Underground Parking Lot: from Barrie Street, turn LEFT onto Union Street to Division Street, turn RIGHT onto Division Street and towards Clergy Street West, and the entrance to the Underground Parking lot will be to your left.
- OR to the Court House Parking Lot: continue down Barrie past Court Street, and the entrance to the Court House Parking lot will be on your right.
- Park your vehicle (3 hours MAXIMUM). Return to Smith House on foot.
- Campus streets will be closed the night before move-in day (Friday, August 31) to ensure the routes are clear. Please do not park your car on-campus overnight, as it will be towed.
- Please do not arrive prior to 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 1.
- If you require accommodations/storage in Kingston prior to move-in day, or after you have dropped off your student, please be sure to book accommodations early as local hotels/motels book up quickly.
- There are a few carts available – but you may want to bring a portable luggage cart if you have one.
- WINDSHIELD ZONE CARD (David C. Smith House – Green Zone) – Download, print, and put in your vehicle before move-in day
- Queen’s University Residence Life move-in map 2018– Download and print a copy
- PARKING MAP (Green Zone) – Download and print a copy
- Visit our Move-In Day page for everything you need to know before you arrive at Queen’s