Upper Year Undergraduate
* Please note the application will be available for 2014-15 on December 1, 2013
Space is very limited and subject to change due to availability.
Students who apply after the deadline will be placed on a waiting list in the order that they are received. Students who have missed the deadline will only be considered after those who met the deadline have been allocated rooms.
Applications due Friday February 7, 2014 by 4:00 pm EST
Lottery Results available Friday, February 21, 2014 by 4:00 pm EST
To accept your residence offer a deposit of $525.00 is due Friday, March 7, 2014 by 4:00 pm EST
DEPOSIT AND REFUND INFORMATION
- The deposit is credited toward your residence fees for the 2014-2015 academic year so will not appear on your student account until mid June in order to reflect the fee balance for 2014-2015 (please note the deposit will be cashed at the time of submission, however your student account will not show this transaction until June).
- An email will be sent to students to confirm receipt of payment and notification that a room has been secured. If you do not hear from Residence Admissions before March 7, 2014 and you have made a payment, it is your responsibility to confirm your payment with the Admissions Office.
- To make a residence deposit, please see below:
- the residence deposit can be made by debit card if you bank with one of the above institutions. You must have online banking (bill payment from your bank account) to proceed with this transaction.
- debit payment is made on our website at the time of your residence application or if you have already submitted your application, you can click on the logos above and make a payment now
- students must have a Canadian funds bank account at one of the above institutions
- some bank accounts have a daily spending limit on debit cards and for this reason your deposit payment may be declined
- we strongly suggest that students check their daily limit ahead of time to determine whether the transaction can be made
- should the deposit payment be declined for any reason, it is the student’s responsibility to ensure payment reaches residence prior to the deadline by another method
- $325 of your $525 deposit is refundable if you cancel in writing to the Residence Admissions Office by July 4, 2014.
RESIDENCE ROOM OPTIONS FOR UPPER YEAR STUDENTS
- Harkness International Hall – Single room with optional meal plan.
- Watts Hall – Single room/shared bathroom with upper-year meal plan included
Students applying/running for a live-in student staff/council position and who wish to be considered for residence: in the event that you are NOT successful in obtaining a live-in student staff/council position, you must submit an application and deposit by the required deadlines for the upper year residence application process. Please choose your building preferences and rate them accordingly.
If you accept a live-in student staff/council position a room will be assigned to you. Any room offered to you prior will be released and this original offer will be null and void. After accepting a live-in position, if you then decline the position, resign or the job contract is terminated and you still wish to live in residence you will need to contact the Residence Admissions office to ascertain whether rooms are still available.
YOUR ROOM ASSIGNMENT
- Building assignments will be available from the Queen’s Residence Student Web at https://studentweb.housing.queensu.ca prior to Reading Week on February 14, 2014.
- Please note that the number of upper-year beds available in residences changes from year to year and is subject to change; not all applications are successful.
- The number of spaces available for upper year students is directly related to the number of first year guaranteed spaces.
- Priority is given to students who are registered for the full academic year.
- Rooms are assigned after all deposits have been paid and student staff rooms have been assigned. Your room assignment will be available on-line mid to late summer.
- Returning students are eligible for re-admission to Residence or University-owned, off campus housing (administered by Community Housing), based on several factors, including a history of responsible behaviour and positive contributions to the quality of life in residence. You must also be a registered, full-time student at Queen’s and be willing to contribute to a positive living environment.
- Residence reserves the right to refuse admission to any student who has been found responsible for a Level 3 Offence while living in Residence. If you have been found to be in violation of the Residence Rules and Regulations at an offence of Level 2 or above while in residence, please identify this in an email to email@example.com
- Upper-year students are assigned to a residence and room by a random lottery process which takes into account the choices on your application. We cannot guarantee your first choice.
- Students who are not successful in the lottery process can email Residence Admissions to be placed on the waiting list. First-year enrollment numbers guide how many spaces are available to upper year students (please note that you cannot be on the waiting list if you have been assigned a residence room).
- Special Consideration Form (this form must be completed and submitted as per instructions).
- Information regarding a disability and any required room adaptations must be submitted on the form provided. We are only able to make arrangements for students who indicate this information on the application form and submit the “Special Consideration” form by the deadline.
- Please indicate any disability, medical condition, height, dietary need, and/or requirements related to lifestyle, culture, gender or religious needs on the Special Consideration Form. This form is required for medical circumstances. Any pre-existing condition must be noted on the form in order to be considered and will not be considered after rooms have been assigned. Even in situations where students do not believe it will affect their room assignment it is best to include relevant information for consideration.
- If you wish us to take into account a medical condition which would not be described as a disability, please fill in sections C and D only on the Special Consideration form. Unclear or vague documentation will not be accepted.
- The special consideration form and any accompanying Doctor’s notes must be mailed, e-mailed or faxed to our office by the application deadline.
- Medical information provided on the special consideration form is considered confidential and will only be viewed by the Manager of Residence Admissions to make an informed decision on room placement.
- Room changes based on medical needs after the application deadline will only be considered if they are under extreme circumstances and may not be able to be accommodated. Please note that this process is not intended to provide an option for students to achieve a more favourable building assignment.
- Please note that Queen’s Residence is a high density living environment. It may be difficult to control that environment in regards to a medical condition. We strongly encourage students who may have environmental health concerns to consider if accommodation in residence is safe and conducive to their lifestyle.
- We are committed to accommodating the requirements of students with disabilities to the best of our ability; however please note that you may not be placed in the residence of your preference.
- Please contact the Residence Admissions office if you have a parent, guardian, or sibling with a disability such as mobility, vision or hearing impairment that would require accommodation when visiting your residence building.
- Please read our policy on Service Animals: Queen’s Residence Service Animal Policy
OUR CONTRACT WITH YOU
Read the Residence Agreement carefully. By applying to residence you agree to enter into a legal contract for the next eight months and should be familiar with your obligations and our policies.
QUESTIONS? Please contact us:
|Write us:||Residence Admissions Office
Victoria Hall, 75 Bader Lane
Queen’s University, Kingston, ON K7L 3N8
When you are ready to begin your application, click the button at the bottom of the page to agree that you have read this information before proceeding to the application.